Spain’s Civil Guard and army intelligence service launched an operation against a suspected Hezbollah cell, carrying out several arrests, various media reports said on Monday.
The searches and arrests have been coordinated by the Prosecutor’s Office and the National Court, with Spanish media stating that some of the suspects are Lebanese citizens living in Spain.
The crackdown in Barcelona’s central Eixample neighbourhood resulted in the arrest of at least nine people.
According to Euro News, which cited local reports, three of the individuals arrested, who are now in pre-trial detention, were suspected of manufacturing combat drones to be used against Israel.
Two of those arrested have since been released with precautionary measures.
Reports in Spanish media state that the police are now on high alert.
Local media said officers also raided a commercial establishment in the Verneda neighbourhood, located neat the National Police headquarters, as well as a warehouse in northern Catalonia.
In a court order justifying the detention, a judge said: "The suspect is part of a group of individuals of Lebanese origin based in Spain and Germany, linked to varying degrees with the terrorist organisation Hezbollah, who through the use of Spanish companies, have acquired a large quantity of components and materials whose final destination would be Hezbollah in Lebanon".
The operation comes after the Civil Guard arrested a Moroccan national last week in Granada, accusing him of disseminating videos glorifying the Islamic State extremist group.
Since the start of Israel’s war on Gaza in 2023, there has been a rise in terror threats from individuals acting alone, known as "lone wolves" as well as sleeper cells, with 78 arrests made in 2023, Spanish media said.
Read More Details
Finally We wish PressBee provided you with enough information of ( Spanish civil guard arrests suspected Hezbollah cell )
Also on site :
- Pat McAfee’s Drama With Ole Miss College Student: What to Know
- Taiwan says US tariffs 'highly unreasonable'
- New Zealand banned phones in schools 12 months ago. Here’s what happened