OAKLAND — Two women will receive no extra jail time through a plea deal over the death of a man who was beaten and stabbed at a high-prostitution neighborhood, records show.
Kimberly Burgos, 24, and Miah Newman, 20, were both charged with murder last year in connection with the death of 46-year-old Roy Ramsey. But at recent court appearances, both women pleaded no contest to an accessory charge for time they’ve already served in jail.
Burgos has been officially sentenced to time she had already served while awaiting trial. Newman is not quite out of the woods; her sentence is contingent upon her not getting arrested between now and May 13, when she’s next due in court, but she has been released from jail in the meantime, records show.
The women were charged with joining a group of five suspected sex workers who beat and stabbed Ramsey to death in the early morning of March 29, 2024, on the 1500 block of International Boulevard. Police say the suspected stabber was a girl being trafficked by an unidentified man, who was only 16 at the time. At least one used high heels as a weapon.
Ramsey’s mother, in a letter to this news organization last year, called her son a “a beacon of love, respect, and admiration amongst his family and friends.” He had been living with “physical limitations” from an accident in 2022, leaving him vulnerable to the beating, she said.
“He was a very kind-hearted young man who lived his life with joy and peace. He was not a threat to anyone, let alone the women who so mercilessly ended his life,” Ramsey’s mother wrote. “The circumstances surrounding Roy’s death are horrifying…This wasn’t merely a crime against Roy; it was a crime against humanity itself.”
Defense attorneys argued Newman and Burgos played a minor role, if any, in the actual homicide. They’ve also argued that Ramsey started the altercation with a woman or girl at the scene and the others joined in the fracas. Burgos’ lawyer, Ernie Castillo, said at most his client may have punched or kicked Ramsey in the buttocks.
“My client was innocent…she did not contribute in any way to the death in this case, and was simply coming to the aid of someone who was being attacked,” Castillo said. “We are pleased that the murder case was dismissed. It was the right thing to do here.”
Both Newman and Burgos were released from jail shortly after being arrested last year, per court orders that require them to wear GPS monitors, report to a job training program and not engage in prostitution or loiter in areas associated with it. Prosecutors did not contest their release from jail, court records show.
Police say they confirmed the girl was the stabber in part through texts from her phone, one of which said, “I stabbed…his booty” and that she used high heels to beat Ramsey, who she called a “drunk a–.”
The girl is being prosecuted in juvenile court, where murder convictions typically resolve in a custodial sentence not exceeding the ward’s 25th birthday.
Read More Details
Finally We wish PressBee provided you with enough information of ( Through plea deal, Oakland sex workers get murder charges dismissed )
Also on site :
- How severe allergy season will be this year and how to relieve symptoms
- Tories think Jenrick is making new push for leadership as Badenoch stumbles
- Your Angel Number to Manifest Luck, Based on Zodiac Sign