Supervisor calls for board to adopt ‘two-step’ budget process with seat temporarily vacant ...0

News by : (Times of San Diego) -
Monica Montgomery Steppe, speaking last month at a Board of Supervisors meeting. (Photo courtesy of San Diego County via YouTube)

Supervisor Monica Montgomery Steppe announced a proposal to modify the timeline for the San Diego County Board of Supervisors to adopt a budget for the coming fiscal year. 

The proposal calls for the board to utilize a “two-step” budget process as permitted by California state law. Under Montgomery Steppe’s proposal, the board would approve a “recommended” budget by June 30, the day before the start of the new fiscal year.

The board then will hold public budget hearings and adopt the final budget no later than Oct. 2.

Her proposal follows a call by her colleague Joel Anderson, who urged the board to pass an “on-time” balanced budget, which drew a response from a South Bay mayor.

Paloma Aguirre, mayor of Imperial Beach and a candidate for the vacant District 1 seat on the Board of Supervisors, wants the board to wait until the special election to fill the post so that district constituents will have a voice in the process.

The special election is Tuesday, but with seven candidates in the field it is widely believed a runoff will be required, set for July 1.

The Board of Supervisors will consider Montgomery Steppe’s proposal on Tuesday.

She argues that the two-step process not only will satisfy South County constituents, but also provide the board with the flexibility to better understand and respond to uncertainties surrounding shifting federal policies and funding, which also affect the state budget outlook.

 “The truth is, we shouldn’t move forward without a fully represented board – especially if it does not negatively impact us,” she said in a news release. “The two-step process enables us to craft a budget that is not only fiscally responsible, but also fully inclusive.”

In addition, Montgomery Steppe sought to counter claims that embracing the two-step budget process would delay any current funding, inhibit the county from operating effectively or influence the agency’s credit rating.

The board, her office said, will continue to work closely with Chief Administrative Officer Ebony N. Shelton to refine the budget and “ensure that the County of San Diego remains financially stable and poised to meet the needs of its residents.”

The current year’s budget is $8.53 billion, but the county is facing a projected $138.5 million deficit in the coming year.

Read More Details
Finally We wish PressBee provided you with enough information of ( Supervisor calls for board to adopt ‘two-step’ budget process with seat temporarily vacant )

Also on site :

Most Viewed News
جديد الاخبار