Myanmar quake victim rescued after 5 days as aid calls grow ...0

News by : (Daily Sun) -

Rescuers on Wednesday pulled a man alive from the rubble five days after Myanmar's devastating earthquake, as calls grew for the junta to allow more aid in and halt attacks on rebels.

Several leading armed groups fighting the military have suspended hostilities during the quake recovery, but junta chief Min Aung Hlaing vowed to continue “defensive activities” against “terrorists”.

Hopes of finding more survivors are fading, but there was a moment of joy on Wednesday as a man was pulled alive from the ruins of a hotel in the capital Naypyidaw.

Dazed and dusty but conscious, the man was pulled through a hole in the rubble and put on a stretcher, video posted on Facebook by the Myanmar Fire Services Department shows.

Min Aung Hlaing said Tuesday that the death toll had risen to 2,719, with more than 4,500 injured and 441 still missing.

Relief groups say that that response has been hindered by continued fighting between the junta and the complex patchwork of armed groups opposed to its rule, which began in a 2021 coup.

Even before Friday's earthquake, 3.5 million people were displaced by the fighting, many of them at risk of hunger, according to the United Nations.

The announcement by the Three Brotherhood Alliance followed a separate partial ceasefire called by the People's Defence Force -- civilian groups that took up arms after the coup to fight junta rule.

“We are aware that some ethnic armed groups are currently not engaged in combat, but are organising and training to carry out attacks,“ said Min Aung Hlaing, mentioning sabotage against the electricity supply.

- Thailand toll rises -

“We condemn these acts and call on the military regime to immediately cease military operations and allow full humanitarian access to affected areas,“ Foreign Minister Penny Wong said.

“You cannot ask for aid with one hand and bomb with the other,“ said the group’s Myanmar researcher Joe Freeman.

The structure had been under construction at the time, and its crash buried dozens of builders -- few of whom have come out alive.

The death toll at the site has risen to 22, with more than 70 still believed trapped in the rubble.

Read More Details
Finally We wish PressBee provided you with enough information of ( Myanmar quake victim rescued after 5 days as aid calls grow )

Also on site :

Most Viewed News
جديد الاخبار