Myanmar earthquake death toll rises to 3,085 as more bodies found ...0

News by : (News10NBC) -

BANGKOK (AP) — The death toll from the massive earthquake that hit Myanmar nearly a week ago rose Thursday to 3,085 as more bodies were found by search and rescue teams, the military-led government said.

In a short statement, the military said another 4,715 people have been injured and 341 are missing.

The epicenter of Friday’s 7.7 magnitude earthquake was near Mandalay, Myanmar’s second-largest city. It brought down thousands of buildings, buckled roads and destroyed bridges in multiple regions.

Local media reports of casualties have been much higher than the official figures and with telecommunications widely out and many places difficult to reach, it’s thought the numbers could rise sharply as more details come in.

Myanmar’s military seized power in 2021 from the democratically elected government of Aung San Suu Kyi, sparking what has turned into a civil war.

The quake worsened an already dire humanitarian crisis, with more than 3 million people had been displaced from their homes and nearly 20 million were in need even before it hit, according to the United Nations.

Amid growing fears that ongoing fighting could hamper humanitarian aid efforts, the military declared a temporary ceasefire Wednesday, through April 22. The announcement followed unilateral temporary ceasefires announced by armed resistance groups opposed to military rule.

In the military’s announcement, it said it would still take “necessary” measures against those groups if they use the ceasefire to regroup, train or launch attacks.

In Bangkok, where the quake brought down a skyscraper under construction, the search for survivors and bodies continued as Governor Chadchart Sittipunt said a possible sound of life was detected amid the rubble. Twenty-two people were killed, and 35 injured, in the city, mostly by the collapse of the unfinished building.

Copyright 2025 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without permission.

Myanmar earthquake death toll rises to 3,085 as more bodies found WHEC.com.

Read More Details
Finally We wish PressBee provided you with enough information of ( Myanmar earthquake death toll rises to 3,085 as more bodies found )

Also on site :

Most Viewed News
جديد الاخبار